This blog has previously covered censorship of news reports about the COVID-19 situation China, see "Covid-19 Series: Censorship of News Reports Critical of the Government's Response."
On April 2, 2022, a news editor at the state-sponsored media outlet "Sixth Tone" posted on Twitter that one of their reports titled "Orderlies at Shanghai Nursing Home Describe Chaos Amid Outbreak" regarding the COVID situation at Shanghai's Donghai Elderly Care Hospital had been "disappeared." https://twitter.com/bibekbhandari/status/1510142365100646400
Substitute orderlies at one of Shanghai’s largest old age homes said they were unaware during recruitment that their tasks would involve nursing residents infected with the coronavirus. They described a chaotic situation: workers trapped in the hospital, a lack of basic hygiene in living quarters, and mixing COVID-19 patients with others.
. . . .
Shanghai has seen a daily uptick in coronavirus cases for weeks now, and the city on Monday announced a two-phase lockdown to test its nearly 25 million people and contain the virus. Authorities have said that most new infections were detected either among people in central quarantine facilities or those in elevated risk areas that were sealed even before the lockdown started.
However, the outbreak at the Donghai Elderly Care Hospital suggests the existence of a hidden chain of transmission that hadn’t previously been reported in the city.
His tweet included a link to an archived version of the article: https://web.archive.org/web/20220401105539/https://www.sixthtone.com/news/1010042/.
The same day, observers noted that another story about the COVID situation in a Shanghai elder care center had also been deleted, this time it was an article from the state sponsored media outlet Caixin (财新网) titled "COVID-19 Hits Donghai Nursing Home" (新冠侵袭东海养老院). An archive of the original paywalled-version is available here: https://web.archive.org/web/20220402091703/https://www.caixin.com/2022-04-02/101865276.html. The full article is archived here: http://archive.today/2022.04.04-002623/https://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1ss0hpi. Below is a translation of the portion of the text originally available outside the paywall.
COVID-19 Hits Donghai Nursing Home
The weakest link in the prevention and control of the COVID-19 epidemic is under attack. Some medical staff in the Donghai Nursing Home have been transferred and quarantined. There is not enough to ensure the welfare of the patients and the elderly in the facility. The management of the temporarily recruited nurses is scattered, and the normal care order has suffered a huge impact.
Nursing homes, the weakest link in the prevention and control of the COVID-19 epidemic, have been hit by the COVID-19 virus in this round of the Shanghai epidemic.
After Puxi, which has a population of 16 million, launched lock-downs and screening on April 2, the Shanghai Municipal Health Commission announced that on April 1, 260 new local confirmed cases of COVID pneumonia and 6,051 asymptomatic infections were added. A new high for this round of the epidemic. According to comprehensive information, the number of infected people in Shanghai reached more than 36,000 in March alone, and most of them were asymptomatic infections. Unfortunately, many elderly care facilities are deeply involved in the epidemic. Based on the information reported by the Shanghai Health and Health Commission, the Shinan Nursing Home and Donghai Nursing Hospital in the Pudong New Area have experienced recurring COVID-19 outbreaks. Caixin has learned from multiple sources that there have been hundreds of positive infections at the Donghai Elderly Care Hospital, including the elderly, hospital nurses, and health care workers. Recently, elderly individuals have died in nursing homes, and whether this is related to COVID-19 has not yet been determined.
- Original Web Page: https://www.caixin.com/2022-04-02/101865276.html
Original Mobile Version: https://m.caixin.com/red/2022-04-02/101865276.html